Animism (精霊信仰) is a religious belief native to the land of Erebonia.
Animism is disconnected from the teachings of the Septian Church. There is no single type of animism; some animists believe that objects in the natural world have a spirit, while others emphasise the reverence of one's ancestors. The people of Nord revere the wind as a spirit, and share many fundamental aspects of their religious outlook with animists in Erebonia.
While animism may be disconnected from the doctrine of the Septian Church, it does not specifically refute the church's teachings, and in many regions, animist traditions have been incorporated into the beliefs of the Septian Church. Many animists have, thus, been converted to worshipping the Goddess Aidios while retaining their traditional beliefs.
One of the animist traditions still prevalent in present-day Erebonia is the Summer Festival, which was adopted by the Septian Church. The Summer Festival is a seasonal holiday, celebrated in most major cities in Erebonia in June. The exception to the rule is Heimdallr, where the holiday is celebrated in July alongside the anniversary of the end of the War of the Lions.
People's affinity with animism, however, widely differs per region. In Legram, for example, ancient animist traditions have survived and its citizens extensively prepare its annual Summer Festival. Despite the deep roots of animism in both Legram and Nord, both also believe in the Septian Church's teachings as the church has never denied the existence of the spirits in which animists believe. In many major cities, such as Roer, Crossbell City and to a lesser extent Heimdallr, animist traditions play a significantly smaller role.
Noteable areas where animism had a hold are places connected to the Spirit Paths (septium veins), such as the outskirts of Ymir, Celdic (Lunaria Nature Park), Nord and Legram. Lunaria Nature Park positioning among agricultural fields suggest that animists chose to enshrine spirits of the forest. The stone monuments throughout the park are vestiges of animism.
- There are a number of similarities between animism in Erebonia and the cultural heritage of Nord. For example, animist ruins are similar to ruins attributed to the Neolithic Civilisation of Nord and nomads of the Nord celebrate a festival similar to the Summer Festival.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Trails of Cold Steel, Erebonian Folklore, Volume 1.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Trails of Cold Steel, Chapter 4: "A Midsummer's Revels".
- ↑ Trails of Cold Steel, Chapter 4: "A Midsummer's Revels".
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Trails of Cold Steel II, Act 1: "Ashen Chronicles".
- ↑ Trails of Cold Steel, Chapter 1: "Unconventional Studies".
- ↑ Trails of Cold Steel, Chapter 3: "Beyond the Railways".
|Dominion||Ein Selnate (1st) - Thomas Lysander (2nd) - Kevin Graham (5th) - Barkhorn (formerly 8th) - Gaius Worzel (8th) - Wazy Hemisphere (9th)|
|Knight||Rufina Argent - Abbas|
|Squire||Cesar - Juno - Marcia - Ries Argent - Rosine - Scarlet - Ventus|
|Cathedrals||Grancel - Crossbell - Heimdallr - Bareahard - Roer - Haliask - Ardent - Saint-Arkh - Ordis|
|Chapels||Bose - Rolent - Ruan - Zeiss - Trista - Celdic - Legram - Leeves - Parm - Raquel|
|Concepts||Aidios - Artifact - Gehenna - Gralsritter - Merkabah - Sept-Terrion - Stigma|