Although he the third prince, he had no claim to the throne due to his commoner mother and was shunned by the other highborn princes. In S.946, Dreichels moved to Nord Highlands where he was quickly accepted by the people of Nord. With his noble nature, he fit right in and lived peacefully among them. During his wanderings his mother had passed away, but while she lived, she had told him something that would remain with him for the rest of his days: 'The blood flowing through you will not allow you to turn your back on the Empire's suffering.'
In the fall of S.949, Dreichels' childhood friend and confidant Roland Vander visits Dreichels in Nord. Roland's arrival signifies that the War of the Lions had worsened and that Erebonia was on the way to ruination. His mothers' words sprung to his mind and decided he could no longer ignore the suffering in his homeland. Prince Dreichels set about preparing to depart, but before he could finish he was met by several of the tall knights of Nord, their cross shaped spears in hand. They were also close friends of Dreichels and they volunteered to accompany him and Roland, fearing that the two alone would not stand a chance. The next morning Dreichels departed the village with seventeen men under his command.
War of the Lions
In the spring of S.950, half a year after Dreichels set out from Nord, Roland falls in battle shielding Dreichels.[Note 3] Soon thereafter, he meets the daughter of Count Sandlot of Legram, Lianne Sandlot.[Note 4] Her charismatic personality and peerless skills with the lance had earned her the leadership of a band of knights known as the Eisenritter and the moniker Lance Maiden. Despite their difference in upbringing, Dreichels and Lianne shared a concern for the innocent victims of the war and joined forces in order to bring an end to the bloodshed.
Together with the warrior of Nord, the Eisenritter and other volunteers they had inspired, Dreichels and Lianne liberate one town after another and successfully persuade prince Lucius Reise Arnor, owner of the Zector, to join for their cause. Orthros Reise Arnor, however, creates the Vermillion Apocalypse from the cursed Testa-Rossa and annihilates the armies of Abert and Gunnar Reise Arnor as well as Zector in a swift battle. Roselia, the witch who had guided Lianne to Argreion, now guides Dreichels through a trial near Trista to become the Awakener of Valimar, the Ashen Divine Knight.[Note 5] Dreichels and Lianne, piloting Valimar and Argreion, respectively, march to Heimdallr on 1 July S.952.
On 4 July, S.952, Dreichels and Lianne infiltrate the Infernal Castle that spawned alongside the Vermillion Apocalypse and overpower the demonic god, ending the War of the Lions.[Note 6] Their victory came at a steep price, however: in an attempt to shield Dreichels from the Vermillion Apocalypse's attack, she was mortally wounded and dies soon after the battle.[Note 7]. With her death, the line of Count Sandlot ends.
As Emperor, Dreichels dedicates himself to the reconstruction of post-war Erebonia with his befriended retainers yet regretted being away from his friends from the Nord or the witch.. He marries Evelyn,[JP 1] the daughter of a marquis who had supported him throughout the war until he was assassinated, who was moved by his earnest dedication to his cause. The empress bore him two sons and two daughters.[Note 10] Apart from raising his own children, he also raises the orphaned son of Roland Vander like one of his own, who would go on to flourish primarily as a guardian and martial arts instructors as well as taking up the post of high military officer. Around the year S.974, Dreichels establishes the Thors Military Academy on the very place he had found, and returned, Valimar (now known as the Old Schoolhouse.[Note 11]
Throughout his time as an emperor, there was a burden Dreichels carried he spoke of to no one. The curse-ridden Dreichels was followed around by the Ishmelga in its thoughtform, constantly beckoning Dreichels that he would be more befitting as its Awakener instead of Valimar's, which it describes as a "scrap of metal". Dreichels found Ishmelga repulsive compared to Valimar and decided to endure its torment, only to be reminded that Ishmelga would return if his soul were to transmigrate.
The curse hid itself when Dreichels receives a surprise visit from Lianne Sandlot in S.994, who had revived soon after the war[Note 12] and not aged a day since Dreichels last saw her. Dreichels had heard rumours about her revival and called her cold-hearted for breaking their promise to live together, to which she replied she would have been unable to grant him his wish to have children. She immediately asks about the darkness that possessed him.
It is unknown when exactly Dreichels passed away. His soul reincarnates as Giliath Osborne two centuries later.
- Many tourists buy a mini-statue of Dreichels as a good luck charm.
- His name contains the German words for "three" (Drei), "empire" / "rich" (Reich / reich), and "journey" (Reise).
- His title is derived from the historical English king, Richard I the Lionheart
- In S.994, Dreichels had reached the age of 70.
- Dreichels was still alive in S.994.
- From the fall of S.949, when Dreichels started raising his army, it was said "half a year later", and during the first half of the War of the Lions.
- From the fall of S.949, when Dreichels started raising his army, it was said "half a year later", "soon after" the death of Roland Vander.
- The trial took place after the Palatinate Knight was destroyed and before the infiltration of the Infernal Castle on July, 1st.
- On July 24th, Manager Verdy of Department Store Plaza Biforst says that " tomorrow happens to mark the anniversary of the war's end", which puts the end of the war on 25 July rather than 4 July.
- The cause of her death is not generally known, leading to rumours up to the present-day. Roselia took away her corpse, leaving behind only rumours regarding the disappearance of her corpse.
- The coronation took place "in the year the War of the Lions ended".
- On 30 December S.1204, Valimar says he "went to sleep 250 years, 128 days ago". If months have had the same amount of days as S.1204 throughout the years, it means he was put to rest on 24 August.
- The names of the four children are unknown..
- Exact year unknown. In S.1204, Thors Military Academy principal Vandyck says that it was "founded almost 220 years ago" and "[t]hirty years after becoming Emperor, in the later years of Dreichels' life". Considering S.1204 marks the year of "Thors' two-hundred and fifteenth entrance ceremony" and assuming the entrance ceremonies have been held every year without interruption during any wars, the first entrance ceremony was held in S.990, placing the foundation of Thors Military Academy was founded between S.983 and S.990. During the bonfire scene in the Finale of Trails of Cold Steel, Claire Rieveldt tells Rean Schwarzer he will be part of Thors Military Academy's "221st [graduating class]". Assuming that one graduating class corresponds with one Septian Calendar year would put the first graduating class enrolling in S.984. In Volume 4 of the Black Records it is stated in S.994 that is has been "20 years" since he established the academy, placing the exact date at S.974.
- The resurrection happened "half a year after" the War of the Lions ended, making late S.952 also possible.
- Trails of Cold Steel III, Volume 4.
- Trails of Cold Steel IV, Act 3: "Seekers of the Dawn", 08/27.
- Trails of Cold Steel, Prologue: "The Way to Thors" (3/31)
- Trails of Cold Steel II, Volume 4.
- Trails of Cold Steel, Chapter 1: "Unconventional Studies", 04/17.
- Trails of Cold Steel III, Chapter 4: "Radiant Heimdallr", 07/04.
- Trails of Cold Steel II, Volume 5.
- Trails of Cold Steel, Chapter 3: "Beyond the Railways", 06/15.
- Trails of Cold Steel II, Act 2: "The Awakening Lions", 12/26.
- Trails of Cold Steel, Chapter 4: "A Midsummer's Revels", 07/24.
- Trails of Cold Steel III, Finale: "For Whom the Bell Tolls", 07/18.
- Trails of Cold Steel, Chapter 5: "Signs and Omens", 08/28.
- Trails of Cold Steel II, Act 2: "The Awakening Lions", 12/13.
- Trails of Cold Steel II, Finale: "Forward, Relentlessly", 12/30.
- Trails of Cold Steel, Final Chapter: "Put to the Test", 10/24.