Erebonia borrowed its name from Erebos, the deity of darkness. It is said the land was shrouded in darkness before the nation of Erebonia was founded. In this land lived two factions, each centered around a Sept-Terrion: the kinship of the Sept-Terrion of Blaze and the Sept-Terrion of Earth. The Sept-Terrion brought prosperity and peace to their factions for several hundreds of years until one day, they went to war with each other, and their Guardians followed suit.
The treasures assumed the form of giants and the battle caused great calamities to the land. Realizing the mistake they made, the factions made peace with each other. Their treasures, however, were locked in battle and continued for a thousand days until both exhausted the last of their strength. Their empty shells were flung to the furthest reaches of the land. The Blaze Guardian ended up enshrined on Bryonia Island, the Earth Guardian in Nord Highlands.
However, with their decisive blow, the powers of the two Sept-Terrion synthesized to form the ultimate but unstable power, the Sept-Terrion of Steel, also known as the Great One. Realizing the potential would be too great for mankind, the two factions collaborated with the Holy Beast to seal away the Great One. After several failed attempts, they decided to seal its essence in a higher plane: the Blaze faction split the Great One into seven fragments that were inserted into the seven shells constructed by the Earth faction. These became known as the Deus-Excellion.
The Black Deus-Excellion, Ishmelga, would serve as a receptacle for the Great One's power. The Deus-Excellion were initially equipped with artificial intelligence, but Ishmelga evolved into a lifeform with its own distinct will under the influence of mankind's bad faith: to become a godlike existence possessing absolute power, it started spreading its bad faith in the form of a curse throughout Erebonia. Many of the events to follow were either directly or indirectly orchestrated by Ishmelga.
Afterward sealing the Great Power, the Blaze faction renamed itself to Hexen Clan and the Earth faction to Gnomes. They continued to collaborate immediately after the Great Collapse to protect the land. As the faction started to live together and were joined by surrounding folk and together worked toward the foundation of Erebonia.
In the Dark Ages that followed the Great Collapse, poverty and distress among the populace raised the demand of a local leader, for whom the Arbiter Arnor was requested and set up as emperor of hereditary succession in Heimdallr. Missionaries from the Septian Church visited and acknowledged the state and introduced faith as a novel method to communicate with Aidios. This led to the construction of the Heimdallr Cathedral under the reign of Sion Arnor, the third emperor, in S.81.
In the third century, Heimdallr had grown to approximately 50.000 citizens that enjoyed the renaissance of culture. The period of peace and prosperity was brought to an abrupt end with the appearance of Dark Dragon Zoro-Agruga in about S.270, which occupied Heimdallr and turned it into a necropolis by spreading its miasma. Emperor Astorius II and his people fled to the southern city of Saint-Arkh, which would serve as the Erebonia's capital for the next century. The Hexen Clan and Gnomes assist citizens in escaping the city.
During their efforts, the Hexen Clan elder died, and her familiar inherited her mission and memories. The Gnomes lost their Holy Beast, Argres, as it contracted the majority of the Great One's curse. Its name is forgotten (henceforth referred to as the "Nameless One") and is sealed away in a Primal Ground copy underneath the Heimdallr Cathedral. The entire Primal Ground including the Nameless One is afterward translocated to an area northwest of Heimdallr (the place where the Karel Imperial Villa would be built during the Middle Ages).
Urged by the leader of the Gnomes and guided by Roselia, Emperor Hector I became the Awakener of the Vermillion Deus-Excellion, Testa-Rossa. Bolstering immense power and countless weapons, Hector I managed to fell Zoro-Agruga and reclaim Heimdallr. The miasma (blood) that emerged from the dying dragon, however, claimed the emperor's life and placed a curse upon Testa-Rossa. Hector's successor met with Roselia and the leader of the Gnomes to seal the cursed Deus Excellion underneath the Valflame Palace. Afterward, the leader of the Gnomes declares that they would break contact with the Hexen Clan and disappeared completely.
Throughout the next century and a half, the empire of Erebonia regained its stability. This period gave rise to powerful clans, each taking control of an imperial territory in the form of a province. The empire recognized them as nobility. These noble families engaged in small-scale conflicts to expand their territory and increase their influence. These conflicts escalated into battles for which Deus-Excellion (all but Testa-Rossa and Ishmelga) were awakened and deployed. The noble families with no Deus-Excellion in their possession saw their infantry crushed under the overwhelming strength of the enormous knights.
As a countermeasure, they resorted to the mages. The mages were a group of intellectuals that sought the glory and miracles of the ancient Zemurian civilization in Erebonia during the Dark Ages and were obsessed with its revival. With the investment of the noble families, the mages developed Magic Knights to compete against the Deus-Excellion. After many defective prototypes that would only move when the spirit veins were stimulated, which worked out since that was what the Deus-Excellion were doing, the mages succeeded in creating what is considered the prototype to the Magic-Knights, Ol-Gadia, for an influential family that is no longer around in the north of Erebonia in S.527.
War of the Lions
- Main article: War of the Lions Erebonia was plunged into a civil war following the death of emperor Valius V in S.947 and assassination of his son, Crown Prince Manfred, mere days later. The fourth prince Orthros seizes power in a military coupe of Heimdallr. His declaration as the new emperor and the policy to purge all those who dared to oppose him forced the hands of the other princes, Albert, Gunnar, and Lucius. The prince who would eventually end the war, Dreichels, was spending his time in Nord Highlands and did not learn about the war until it had been raving his home country for two years.
As soon as his confidant Roland Vander informs Deichels about the state of the war, Dreichels starts raising an army and departures to Erebonia. In Legram he meets Lianne Sandlot, daughter of the ruling count. Dreichels and Lianne shared a concern for the innocent victims of the war and joined forces to bring an end to the bloodshed. Together they liberate one town after another and successfully persuade prince Lucius, owner of Zector, to join for their cause. Prince Orthros, however, creates the Vermillion Apocalypse from the cursed Testa-Rossa and annihilates the armies of Abert and Gunnar Reise Arnor as well as Zector in a swift battle.
Roselia, who had guided Sandlot to Argreion, would next guides Dreichels through a trial near Trista to become the Awakener of Valimar, the Ashen Deus-Excellion. Dreichels and Lianne, piloting Valimar and Argreion, respectively, march to Heimdallr on 1 July S.952. Three days later, on 4 July, S.952, they infiltrate the Infernal Castle that spawned alongside the Vermillion Apocalypse and overpowers the demonic god, ending the War of the Lions. Their victory came at a steep price, however: in an attempt to shield Dreichels from the Vermillion Apocalypse's attack, Sandlot was mortally wounded and died soon after the battle.
Later that year, Dreichels is enthroned as the 73rd emperor of Erebonia. On 24 August, he puts Valimar to rest at the place he had originally found him. Emperor Dreichels dedicated himself to the reconstruction of post-war Erebonia. He built the foundation of a modern state through the introduction of new legal, economic and cultural systems. Around the year S.974, Dreichels establishes the Thors Military Academy on the very place he had found. Dreichels became known as the Father of the Renaissance.
Having become emperor, Dreichels reads the imperial family's Black Records and learns the identity of the darkness that has been bothering him: Ishmelga, the thoughtform that constantly beckons him to become its Awakener. He spoke to no one about it for the rest of his reign until S.994, when Lianne Sandlot, revived and unaged, appeared before him.
Dreichels' efforts resulted in rapid cultural and industrial growth in Erebonia. It was not only Erebonia that saw major changes, however. Its eastern neighbor, Calvard's monarchy, had fallen and was re-established as a republic stressing modernization. Growing tensions between the two countries led to a full-scale war between Erebonia and Calvard until they decided to have the territory they were warring over established as an autonomous state and share suzerainty over the said state. In S.1134, the Crossbell State was established, and Erebonia would not engage in a war with Calvard for the next seven decades.
On 23 April S.1192, a massacre with Liberlian weaponry in the southern town of Hamel (known as the Hamel Tragedy) led Erebonia to declare war on its southern neighbor, the Liberl Kingdom, three days later. 26 April S.1192 marks the start of the Hundred Days War. Within the first month, the Imperial Army of Erebonia has occupied nearly all regions of Liberl.
In June, however, Liberl turns the tables with the completion of secretly developed armored aircraft. Behind the scenes, Giliath Osborne was permitted by emperor Eugent III to investigate the situation in Hamel and negotiates a ceasefire to queen Alicia II of Liberl. In August, Erebonia surrenders and executes all members of the pro-war faction that instigated the Hamel Tragedy. The following year, Erebonia and Liberl enter a peace treaty mediated by the Septian Church. Erebonia issues official apology and Osborne is promoted to chancellor of Erebonia.
Osborne's rise to power marked the start for a significant transition in Erebonia's history. As a representative of the reformist faction and the first commoner to assume office as chancellor, Osborne aspired to abolish the class difference between nobility and commoners. Throughout the S.1190s, Osborne expanded Erebonia's railway system and put his expansionist policies to practice through annexations of many neighboring states, such as City-State Jurai in S.1195. These mergers, as Osborne himself refers to them, are recorded to have happened without any bloodshed. Bolstered by this new source of revenue he set about reforming the imperial army, significantly increasing military spending and extending his control to around 70% of it in S.1203.
In S.1204, the growing tensions between Erebonia's classes culminated into the Noble Alliance financed terrorist organization Imperial Liberation Front's attempted assassination of Osborne during his national address to declare war on Crossbell for declaring itself an independent and it's IBC freezing Erebonia's assets. The Noble Alliance immediately assumes control of the capital through military power and manages to hold Erebonia in their grasp of the next two months during the civil war that became known later as the October Campaign. Osborne, however, survived the attempted assassination and forced the Noble Alliance into pledging full support to his cause.
In S.1205, Erebonia first invades Crossbell and occupies it within a single day without bloodshed. In March, newly appointed Governor-General Rufus Albarea announces that the state will be merged in Erebonia. Later that year, Erebonia invades and annexes is northern neighbor North Ambria for rejecting the liability claim Erebonia had submitted for the damage the Northern Jaegers had inflicted during the October Campaign. With both Crossbell and North Ambria merged into Erebonia, the empire overtakes its eastern neighbor Calvard as the largest country in Zemuria.
In July S.1206, reigning emperor Eugent III is shot multiple times in the chest at his home in Karel Imperial Villa. He is critically wounded. The following day, chancellor Osborne holds a national address to state he interprets the attack with a Verne Company-made pistol as a declaration of war from Calvard and announces the National Mobilisation Law. Marshal Vandyck is instated as supreme commander of Operation Jormungand, the most tremendous military force in history in preparation on the war with Calvard. Throughout August, all men between 19 and 45 are conscripted and trained to serve Erebonia in the war against Calvard.
Erebonia and Calvard opened fire on 1 September S.1206 at noon. In a dazzling turn of events, a cease-fire was negotiated the following day and realized through the collaborative efforts of Marshal Vandyck and Lieutenant General Cassius Bright of counter-operation Mille Mirage. Through mass-communication Eugent III announced his reinstatement as emperor of Erebonia and reinstated to the entire world that the attempted assassination on his life was not the doing on Calvard. Erebonia immediately calls back its army and Crossbell regains its independence. Jurai and North Ambria do not pursue independence due to the merger's financial benefits.
The current emperor of Erebonia is Eugent Reise Arnor III, who resides at the Valflame Palace in the imperial capital Heimdallr together with his wife, Empress Priscilla, and three children: Prince Olivert, Princess Alfin, and Crown Prince Cedric.
|Crossbell Province||Crossbell City||500,000|
|North Ambria Province||Haliask||Unknown|
Erebonia is located in western Zemuria. It is bordered by to the east by Calvard; to the south by Liberl, and to the northeast by the Nord Highlands. It is bordered to the north along the Eisengard Range and the west by the Balares Sea.
Imperial Army of Erebonia
- Main article: Imperial Army of Erebonia The Imperial army is under the command of emperor Eugent Reise Arnor III and his government, tasked with the defense of Erebonia from external forces. The army consists of a large number of state-of-the-art, mechanized tanks, divided into more than 20 military armored visions. In S.1203, approximately 70% of the Imperial army was under direct command of Chancellor Giliath Osborne and therefore considered the force of the reformist movement.
- General Staff Office serves as the backbone of the Imperial army.
- Imperial Defence is tasked with the protection of the imperial family.
- Imperial Intelligence Agency was established before S.1193 by Giliath Osborne. Prominent members include Captain Lechter Arundel and Millium Orion.
- Armored Divisions are positioned throughout the empire.
- Railway Military Police is tasked with patrolling Erebonia using railways and consists of at least 11 Squads. Its most prominent member is Claire Rieveldt.
- Heimdallr Military Police is tasked with keeping order within the capital of Erebonia and protecting its citizens. Their uniform resembles the imperial army's but is blue rather than purple.
- Imperial Air Force is a newly established division in the Imperial army. Thor's alumna Emily and Teresia joined the fleet after graduating.
Traditionally each province in Erebonia possessed their provincial army (州領邦軍) that served their respective Duke or Marquis. Aurelia Le Guin commanded the Lamarre Provincial Army and Wallace Bardias commanded the Sutherland Provincial Army; who commanded the Kreuzen, and Nortia Provincial Army is not known.
In October S.1204 the provincial armies joined forces as the Noble Alliance under the command of supreme commander Croire de Cayenne and chief of staff Rufus Albarea. Following the attempted assassination on Giliath Osborne, they staged a coup d'etat later known as the October Campaign. In December S.1204, Chancellor Osborne returned and managed to gain the Noble Alliance's full support with the exception of the Lamarre Provincial Army.
Its commander, Commander Le Guin held their base at Juno Naval Fortress siege until August S.1205. Their force at the time consisted of 50,000 soldiers, enormous airships, enough supplies to extend their siege for three years and fully equipped antiaircraft artillery. Even the Imperial Army was perplexed on how to deal with the situation. In exchange for the imperial government's guarantee that the provincial armies would maintain their independence, Former Noble Alliance commanders Le Guin and Wallace agreed to participate in the Northern Campaign.
Afterward, the provincial armies were unified as the Unified Regions Army (統合地方軍) under the command of Brigadier GeneralBardias.
Erebonia has a tenuous relationship with most of the countries surrounding its borders, brought about in part with its habit of annexing small nearby nations. Though it has signed a non-aggression pact with Liberl, their relationship is still shaky at best as a result of the Hundred Days War.
The Empire is mainly on appalling terms with the Calvard Republic.
Erebonia's economy can be divided into four main categories: Mining, Agriculture and Foreign Trade and Technological Corporations.
The Sachsen Iron Mine, located in the north of Roer in the Nortia province, is often referred to as "the framework of Erebonia," highlighting its importance for Erebonian economy. Iron ores are transported from the mine to Roer, where the First Plant of the Reinford Industry Group refines the iron into orbal-powered devices or uses it for the construction of buildings. The Sachsen Iron Mine was initially part of the Rogner Marquisdom, but as an imperial resource, the ownership was transferred to the royal family of Arnor.
Spread out near Celdric is the grain-producing region Grand Granary. Since the Orbal Revolution, which led to a sudden surge in population and increases in importing crops, the Grand Granary has been tasked with supplying Erebonia with food.
The most important products for export are orbal-powered devices. Traditionally, the Erebonian government used to charge high customs duty on imported goods, making imported goods a scarcity. Recent deregulations, however, have led to a lower customs duty and therefore an increase in imported goods.
- Reinford Group is a prominent maker of orbal-powered devices, boasting an overwhelming market share in Erebonia. The current president is Irina Reinford. Their headquarters are situated in Roer.
- Imperial Chronicle is the leading news outlet for Erebonia. It is an empire-wide newspaper that caters to all clients, and while it tries to be unbiased, it fell under the control of the Noble Alliance during the October Campaign.
- Conrad Company (コンラート社) is owned by Hermann Conrad, who is considered a merchant of death who made a fortune during the Hundred Days War, making him one of the Empire's most wealthy men, despite being a relative newcomer. Afterward, he partnered up with the Reinford Group was promoted to serve on their board of directors. Late S.1203, Gralsritter arrested him for unauthorized possession of, and illegal use of, the Fool's Locket artifact.
- Rieveldt Company (リーヴェルト社) is a renowned maker of musical instruments. After Claire Rieveldt inherited the rights, she had them transferred to its current president, President Morgan.
- Quincy Company (クインシー社) is a maker of confectionery.
- Kleist & Co. (クライスト商会) is a business network seeking to unite commercial firms and business across Erebonia. They have stores in Heimdallr, Ordis and Jurai SEZ.
- Crimson Co. (クリムゾン商会) is Jaeger corps Red Constellation's dummy company, responsible for running the Neue Blanc clubs.
- Lakelord Company (レイクロード社) is a maker of fishing equipment. Its current president is Lakelord II.
- Heimdallr Bank (帝都銀行), Erebonia's largest bank, announced a partnership with IBC. Its current president is Giscard.
Public transport is highly commonplace in Erebonia. Its railroad system is spread throughout the nation, in which its capital Heimdallr serves the purpose of a central hub. Major cities throughout Erebonia are connected through local branch lines. The Transcontinental Railroad runs through Crossbell into Calvard. Important lines of Erebonia's railroad system include:
- Transcontinental Railroad (Heimdallr - Trista -1 hour- Celdic - Garrelia Fortress - Crossbell - Calvard)
- The Kreuzen Main Line (Heimdallr - Trista - Celdic - Bareahard)
- The Lamarre Main Line (Heimdallr - ? - Ordis)
- The Sutherland Main Line (Heimdallr - ? - Saint-Arkh)
- The Nortia Line (Heimdallr - Roer)
- The Eisengald Branch Line (Roer - The Gate of Zender)
- The Ebel Branch Line (Bareahard - Legram)
- The Freight Line (Bareahard - Aurochs Fort)
- The Ymir Branch Line (Roer - Sachsen Iron Mine/Ymir)
- Private Royal Line (Heimdallr - Karel Imperial Villa)
Maritime transport makes use of the Arnor River between Erebonia's capital Heimdallr and the maritime city of Ordis on its west coast.
Whereas the nation has converted to the Septian Church during the Middle Ages, animism was the indigenous belief system of Erebonia. Animist traditions have ever since being incorporated in the beliefs of the Septian Church and are part of its annual Summer Festival.
Erebonia has a wide range of schools. From standards schools to specialized schools, it caters to all of its younger citizens.
Some of these schools include:
- Thors Military Academy - Trista
- St. Astraia Girls' School - Sankt District, Heimdallr
- Imperial Academy - Heimdallr.
- Music Academy - Outskirts of the Mater Park district, Heimdallr.
- ↑ Trails of Cold Steel III, Volume 1.
- ↑ Sen no Kiseki Magazine, Volume 5.
- ↑ Trails of Cold Steel III, Chapter 4: "Glimmering Heimdallr", 07/15.
- ↑ It is said the population of Ordis, 460,000 citizens, is three times the size of Saint-Arkh in Trails of Cold Steel III, Chapter 3: "The Pulse of Steel ~Profusion of the Sea Capital~".
- ↑ Trails of Cold Steel III, Chapter 3: "The Pulse of Steel ~Profusion of the Sea Capital~".