The Hexen Clan (
The Hexen Clan primarily live in Eryn Village, located within the Isthmia Great Forest. Members of the clan, particularly the women, have a strong connection to the spiritual aspect of the world, allowing them to use magic and cast incantations--although this is not exclusive to to clan, and can be learned. The most powerful of the clan are named witches and typically dress in long flowing robes when performing group incantations. They make use of staffs and familiars, which are often monsters or imparted from the Clan elder herself.
The witches have a sixth sense that can’t been noticed by others that allows them to sense unusual phenomena. Their sensing of supernatural and mysterious energy ranges from areas remote or close by, to small detections of fiends and devils at the highest rank. They can even determine where the higher elements (Space, Time, & Mirage) are active in the most influential & distorted surroundings.
Before the Great Collapse, the Hexen Clan, at that time called the Kin of Fire, received the Ark Rouge from the Goddess. Under its watchful protection, the society flourished, until one day they came in conflict with the inheritors of the Lost Zem.
Following the great battle that ensued, the Ark Rouge and Lost Zem fused to form the Great One. Realizing that this power was too great for humans to control, the Kins of Fire and Earth worked together to seal the Great One away, with the Kin of Fire splitting the power into seven, and the Kin of Earth crafting seven vessels for the power. Following this, the kin renamed themselves to the Hexen Clan.
In the Dark Ages, during the incident of the Dark Dragon, the chief of the Gnomes persuaded the elder of the Hexen Clan to guide Emperor Hector I to become the Awakener of the Divine Knight Testa-Rossa. The elder of the Hexen Clan reluctantly agreed, and Zoro-Agruga was slain, however there were many casualties in this incident, including the Emperor and the Hexen Elder, and both Testa-Rossa and the Holy Beast of Earth were inflicted with the curse.
From then on, whenever a conflict would arise in Erebonia, the Hexen Clan would guide chosen Awakeners to their respective Divine Knights to participate in the conflict, and then erase all memories of the Divine Knights from the public following the conflict. The reason for this cycle is unknown.
Another important duty was the stewardship of the Spirit Shrines constructed by the Gnomes. The Luna Shrine in particular was noted to have been watched carefully by the witches for all of history, and it contains an artifact passed down in the clan called the Spectral Moon Mirror which reveals details about the history of the Empire and causes the true forms of things to appear. Isola Millstein also has a connection to the White Shrine, and pendants given by the Hexen Clan can activate the revealing of the Sol Shrine as well.
List of Hexen Clan Members
Below is a list of known members of the Hexen Clan. Supporting familiars are listed in brackets.
- Roselia Millstein, the clan Elder.
- Vita Clotilde (Grianos)
- Emma Millstein (Celine)
- Isola Millstein,
- Dallier, a knowledgeable fortune teller living together with her apprentice Sigyn. She manages the local hot spring, which is connected to force fields in other areas, and knows a great deal about the flow of the Septium veins. Said to be the second strongest witch in the village, after Roselia.
- Auler, the local herbalist in Eryn, teaches fellow inhabitants about medicine and her daughter Noa and the other children about the outside world.
- Liese runs the local inn, Lux Lunae, and uses her knowledge of magic to prepare magical dishes to ease the weariness of those to eat them.
- Marjorie, a stray outside witch, supporting the clan's activities in the outside world. She helped Emma Millstein getting into Thors. She loves gambling and goes undercover as hostess in Raquel.
- Noa, a young girl.
- Nina, a young witch and Liese's daughter
- Sigyn, Dallier's apprentice fortune-teller.
- Euclase, Auler's husband, member of the Fisherman's Guild and information gatherer from the outside world.
- Albireo, a young boy and Liese's son
- Old Man Aaroy, owner of the general store, Lemuric Goods and scholar of ancient texts.
- Thomson, Lisa's husband, married into the clan.
- Gandolf, weapon and orbment technician.
Below is a list of known incantations used by the Hexen Clan shown through the games.
- Lux solis medicuri eum ('Heal him, sunlight'); Initially shown by Emma during the second field study to Bareahard when Rean got injured on his arm during a fight. This incantation appeals to the sun and has shown stronger healing proficiency over Orbal Arts.
- Aperio ('Open'); A simple lockpicking spell first shown by Emma during the second field trip to Bareahard to open the locked door to the Underground Waterway.
- Flamma ('Flame'); A simple incantation shown by Emma during a bonding event to put a candle on fire. This spell was performed by Emma using a wand.
- Phantasmagoria ('Resound, resound, O voice everlasting... Rend Night's silent veil and reveal unto all the beautiful world!'); One of Vita's incantations used during the ending of Trails of Cold Steel 1 to show the students of Thors the events of Osborne's assassination and the following ascent and reveal of the Noble Faction with Panzer Soldats. This incantation possibly shows what Grianos sees through it's eyes.
- Fenestram Phantasma ('Open, phantasmal window'); Assumedly a variation of Phantasmagoria shown by Vita in Trails of Cold Steel 2 to create a direct channel between Class VII in Ymir and Duke Cayenne who is aboard the Pantagruel. The difference between this incantation and Phantasmagoria is that it is less channeled towards specific people and doesn't need Grianos to be the eyes of the spell.
- Astral Projection; A simple technique frequently used by Vita where her existence is projected in the world. During CS2 it is frequently used by her to talk to Class VII with Grianos seemingly acting as a proxy. During Sen IV we see the technique once more being employed by her at closer distance and by Roselia at further distance.
- Audite sermonem meum. ('Listen to my words.'); A simple incantation used by Emma locking her eyes (without glasses) to hypnotise people. In-game used to bypass the security check entering Bareahard in Trails of Cold Steel 2 and the security of Trails of Cold Steel 3.
- Spiritual Guidance. ('Oh, Spirit Vein... Calm the chaos of this land by the guidance of my mana...'); Used by Emma in a bonding event where she is shown trying to rouse the ley lines around Lunaria Nature Park to settle down.
- ??? ('Shrine of radiance, crafted by the gnomes... by the hand of the spirits, open your doors, and guide us to the proving grounds'); Used by Celine to open the path to the center of a Spirit Shrine.
- Savant Valse A technique that allows members of the Hexen Clan to pour a large amount of mana into their familiar, shown by Vita using this on Grianos in the final Spirit Shrine.
- Lucifen Lied see: Lucifen Lied
- Mare Spiritus (精神の海よ) is a specialised technique to turn the caster's body into an astral body in order to enter the consciousness of someone else.
- Per Mare Per Terram (どんな時もあなたのそばに)
- Dormite Fili Mi (お眠りなさい、安らかに) is a technique similar to a lullaby.
- Enchantment technique- used to grant power to another's blades, allowing them to repulse even Keruanos's blast.
- Hexen means "witches" in German, or alternatively "to practice witchcraft" when written in lower-case.
- The ancient Zemurian settlement present near the husk of Ark Rouge, in combination with Bryonia Island's magically activated shrines, could indicate the island was once a site of the Hexen Clan in the distant past, in the same way ancient Zemurian settlements are present near Lost Zem in the Nord Highlands.
- Blueblanc's use of enchantments such as 'Flamma' and 'Aiguille' , as well as his closeness to Vita, may be a hint that she has taught him some magic (like Musse) or he has some Hexen blood himself and is a rare male example, or that he might be affiliated with the Wind or Water civilization.